Well, since I told my boss, Jeff, that I was pregnant, his whole attitude towards me changed. He started getting extremely rude and harassing, almost as if he was setting me up to fire me with cause.
I called my old boss, Waleed, and told him the whole story. He agreed that Jeff (who is a friend of his... Waleed helped me to get this job when he laid me off from the mortgage job) was acting extremely out of the ordinary, and the only reason he could make of it was that he must be trying to get rid of me, which Waleed realized was totally unfair. He also said he knows my works ethic and there is no reason for Jeff to be acting the way he is. (Just one example - Jeff sent me to Sacramento for a convention... I had him authorize my flights and times before I booked them, so he signed off on everything. The day of my flight, I show up to the airport to find out my 9:15 flight has been cancelled, and I've been bumped to the next flight at 10:45. When I told Jeff, he said I need to make it to Sacramento no later than 2 PM PERIOD... even if it means taking another flight - but no other airlines fly direct from Burbank.... anyway, my 10:45 flight gets delayed, and Jeff gets extremely upset with me telling me I need to figure it out and that I shouldn't have booked this 9:15 flight to begin with... anyway, that's just a portion of the story.) So Waleed tells me if I want to come back and work for him, that I can. Obviously, the pay scale will be a little different than before, but I can work from home (a BIG plus!!) and therefore take it easy.
So before I left the office last night, I sent my letter of resignation to Jeff with my last day of work being November 20th (since he didn't want to give me the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off so I could visit my parents in Vegas). I never heard back from him. When I got in this morning, there was still no answer... and after what Dr. Wang had told me yesterday about stress and anger and how it affects the baby, I realized it wasn't worth putting myself through the stress and what I'm sure would have been even more hostility once Jeff did actually start speaking to me... so I sent another letter advising him that I was leaving effective immediately... and I packed up my things and left.
I have to tell you - I was so relieved to get out of there!!! It's too bad it didn't work out... Jeff was a nice person (before I told him I was pregnant), but he's not married and doesn't have children, so it's hard for him to relate. He's also a very poor manager, and does not handle situations well (obviously) so I think everyone is better off in this situation.
I go back to work for Waleed on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday... I'm so glad to be back! He and I get along so much better, plus he and his wife just had a baby in May of this year... so he can understand everything that Gerald and I are and will be going through this pregnancy.
No comments:
Post a Comment